Thursday, September 23, 2010

Girl Effect - The Sequel!!

A couple of years ago, the fine folks at The Girl Effect produced a video to raise awareness about the worldwide problem of girls living in poverty. In short, they want the viewer to realize that by helping girls early, the downstream effects are exponential. It's a powerful video, and one of my all-time favorites.

I was pleased this week to see that they've released a sequel. Like most sequels, in my opinion, it isn't as good as the first but it still merits a 'thumbs up' review in my book. Think Empire Strikes Back vs. Star Wars - solid effort, but a lot to live up to. I will say this, the more I watch the new one, the more I like it. It's also better LOUD! So I may revise my thoughts on which is better in the future.

I'd love to know your thoughts - I think you'll love them both. See below.





Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Thanks for posting this. I had heard something about this cause a while back, but was unable to track it down.

First off, it's a very appealing concept - helping girls gain control over their lives. I wholeheartedly support the notion that the world would be a much better place if young women were treated respectfully and given the opportunity to make a difference for themselves and their communities.

But, while this organization has crafted a very attractive website and snazzy flash and video applications, they are committing a serious fundraising error. They are not clearly telling me how my money will be spent, nor who they are. I dug around the website to try to learn more about the people behind the ask, but it wasn’t easy. I understand the facts and figures of poverty. What I, and I think many donors want to know now, is how my gift will be spent and by whom.

T White, Phila, PA

Jeff Lindauer said...

I agree 100%...it is a wonderfully creative and entertaining video that creates great awareness about an issue. But the viewer still has no good idea about who TGE is, or what to do about it!

Thanks for the comment!

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics