Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Genius.

You Wouldn't Run A Business This Way. Here's Why Dartmouth Does.

Genius. I don't describe YouTube videos with that word very often, but a recent video produced by Dartmouth deserves that accolade. I'm just disappointed I didn't think of this concept first! This short explanation of the Dartmouth business model does an amazing job of educating the viewer about a variety of issues, not the least of which is why their support is important and valuable. It's sneaky that way.

There are some things in life that are inefficient, ridiculously overpriced, and/or somehow seem (and maybe are) worth the inflated price tag. You'll have hard time convincing me that a $100,000 luxury automobile is really better than my Hyundai at delivering me to and from work every day. But plenty of energy has gone into convincing a lot folks out there that the luxury, prestige, and other intangibles are worth the extra cash. They happily commute five miles across town on heated leather seats listening to Green Day on their 58-speaker stereo.

I think Dartmouth has done just that in less than three minutes. If I had a Dartmouth degree and watched this video, I'd be proud of my alma mater. The whole idea that a university is inherently inefficient in some areas would finally make sense to me. And I might just send them a check to spend in a wacky, but not frivolous, manner.

View the Dartmouth Video Here


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it is a great video, but I take mild exception to the "begging" for money references. Helping legacy donors meet their legacy aspirations through philanthropy is empowering, not begging.

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics